Beginner's Guide to Accounting
Chances are you went into business for yourself because you’re technically very good at whatever it is you do; be it butcher, baker, candlestick maker…
However a common handicap most small business owners are limited by is a lack of core accounting knowledge. You don’t need to be an accountant, but to succeed it’s essential you know accounting basics.
This course has been designed as an introduction to accounting principles and is for beginners working in a New Zealand business environment. No previous knowledge of accounting is assumed and all concepts are introduced in a simple manner. The emphasis is on a practical approach that helps non-accountants learn some accounting basics that will assist you to successfully use accounting software. It is a non-computerised course and includes a series of exercises to help the learning process.
Please note this course is not an MYOB AccountRight software course but is a useful pre-requisite to using any accounting software program.
What You'll Learn
- Apply basic accounting concepts
- Recognise accounts as Assets, Liabilities, Equity, Expenses or Revenue type
- Apply business transactions on the accounting equation
- Interpret a Profit & Loss Statement and Balance Sheet
- Code transactions to appropriate accounts
- Understand how GST works and calculate GST to pay
- Identify capital verse revenue expenses
- Set up a successful accounts filing system
How You'll Learn
We send you the workbook, software and starter files as required for this course. You will need ..
- A mobile or landline near your computer so we can call you
- A computer with any version of windows (from Window 7 up)
- An internet connection so we can remote in to your computer via Team Viewer
- Time to suit us both - this may be early in the day or after hours